Friday, May 15, 2020
- Will staff be provided with masks and gloves? Executive orders require employers to provide them.
- Social Distancing: Should members be alone in the classroom? This would be the best practice. One member per room and social distancing when elsewhere. Review the social distancing fact sheet we have on the NYSUT COVID page. It speaks to the idea of a defined workplace for each person.
- How should the cleaning process work? It would be appropriate for the custodial staff to wipe down surfaces prior to the members entering. Also, if members want to have disinfectants on them, they can request them from their administrators and receive the appropriate PPE for them. This is touched on in the Guidance on Cleaning on the COVID page.
- How long does the virus last on various objects? The virus is detectable for up to three hours in aerosols, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. Again, coordination with custodial staff on cleaning high touch surfaces is key. More details can be found here: https://www.
- The basics still apply! Make sure there is hot water, soap and paper towels in the schools for regular hand washing during this process.
- Do you bring supplies back to your homes? That is up to you. Remember to disinfect these items and leave the items in the bins for a few days before touching them.