IMPORTANT VOTING INFORMATION/REMINDERS
- The Executive Board elections will take place in each building on Monday, May 2, 2016.
- The voting window will be from the start of each building’s workday until the end of the workday.
- As always, please stay involved with YOUR union and make every effort to cast YOUR vote.
ARTICLE FOURTEEN: ELECTION PROCEDURES
Section 1. The general election of the President, 1st Vice-President, 2nd Vice-President and Secretary/Treasurer shall take place on the first regular school day in May. The installation of officers and the commencement of their terms shall take place at the General Meeting in May.
Section 3. All balloting shall be conducted in a manner guaranteeing the secrecy of the ballots. The following procedures shall be followed:
1. Election shall not take place in any administrative office of the school district.
2. Balloting shall take place at a convenient time and location within the District as determined by the teacher representatives from each building. Ballots shall be delivered to the BSCTA office at the close of the school day.
3. Ballots shall be counted and tabulated immediately following the close of elections in full view of all interested members. The election results shall be announced immediately by the Secretary/Treasurer.
Section 4. Election to each position shall be by a majority of votes cast. If no majority is obtained to any candidate on the last balloting, the candidate receiving the least number of votes shall be eliminated from the second balloting.
Section 5. Announcement of Election Results:
1. Should there be but one candidate for each position, the President shall declare the candidate elected at the General Meeting in May. In the event of a contested election, the President shall receive from the Secretary/Treasurer the official count of the ballots cast, and declare the candidates elected at the General Meeting in May. The Secretary/Treasurer shall announce the names of the winning candidates in an official BSCTA bulletin.
2. In all cases where a contested election occurs, the balloting shall proceed as follows: the member shall mark the official ballot and shall cast it at his/her designated polling place.
Section 6. Disputed Elections: All controversial matters regarding elections shall be submitted to a special committee appointed by the President and approved by the Board. No officer, Board member, member of the Elections Committee, or candidate shall be a member of this committee. The decision of the committee shall be final.
ARTICLE ELEVEN OF THE BSCTA CONSTITUTION
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, & TERMS OF OFFICE
1. The President shall issue the call for convening all regular and special meetings of the Board and Executive Board and shall preside at all meetings of the Association, Board and Executive Board.
2. The President shall be ex-officio member of all committees, except special committees appointed to investigate controversial matters pertaining to the election of officers or matters of personal prejudice.
3. The President shall aid all committees of which he/she is an ex-officio member in the performance of their duties. He/she shall report to the Board those committees failing to make satisfactory progress.
4. The President shall be authorized to expend up to $500 per month for non-budgeted items without prior approval of the Board.
5. The President shall appoint all standing committee chairpersons and said appointments shall be subject to Board approval.
6. The President may appoint additional administrative personnel to assist the Board in carrying out its duties. Said appointments shall be subject to Board approval.
7. The President shall execute all directives of the Board and all decisions of the general membership.
8. The President shall countersign all checks by affixing his/her signature last, and shall be bonded at Association expense.
9. The President shall prepare a budget for the following year with the assistance of the treasurer.
10. The President shall serve as delegate to all state and national affiliated organizations.
B. 1st Vice-President
1. The 1st Vice-President shall assist the President in the performance of his/her duties.
2. The 1st Vice-President shall preside in the absence of the President. He/she shall assume the office of the President upon the vacancy of that office and shall so serve until the next regular election.
3. The 1st Vice-President shall be a designated signer of all checks and shall be bonded at Association expense.
4. The 1st Vice-President shall be ex-officio member of all committees and shall serve as an active member of special committees appointed to investigate controversial matters or matters of personal prejudice.
5. The 1st Vice-President shall assign, on a rotating basis, an Executive Board member to attend Board of Education meetings.
6. The 1st Vice-President shall be an observer and consultant to the negotiations team. This duty shall not negate nor diminish the requirements stated in Article Twelve, section 6-B (selection of members the negotiating team.)
7. The 1st Vice-President shall be responsible for such other activities as are assigned by the President or the Board.
C. 2nd Vice-President
1. The 2nd Vice-President shall assist the President in the performance of his/her duties.
2. The 2nd Vice-President shall preside in the absence of the President and 1st Vice-President. He/she shall assume the office of 1st Vice-President upon the vacancy of that office and shall so serve until the next regular election.
3. The 2nd Vice-President shall be responsible for the annual training and orientation of teacher representatives.
4. In the event that the Secretary/Treasurer is unable to perform his/her duties, the 2nd Vice-President shall countersign all checks at the direction of the Board and therefore shall be bonded at Association expense.
5. The 2nd Vice-President shall be responsible for such other activities as are assigned by the President or the Board.
6. The 2nd Vice-President shall be responsible for all member benefits.
1. The Secretary/Treasurer shall keep an official record of all meetings of the Board and the Association
2. The Secretary/Treasurer shall approve the Board’s minutes and shall be responsible for its distribution to the teachers’ representatives within the week following a Board meeting.
3. The Secretary/Treasurer shall pass the official file to any successor, complete with minutes, and other information collected during his/her term. All records shall be maintained in the Association office unless otherwise authorized by the Board.
4. The Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for listing and filing all records of the Association and shall keep a list of all properties.
5. The Secretary/Treasurer shall have a list of all officers and the dates their terms of office expire.
6. The Secretary/Treasurer shall record and file any correspondence in chronological order as directed by the Board.
7. The Secretary/Treasurer shall complete annually all forms and questionnaires pertinent to the maintenance of registration as a professional organization as may be required by law.
8. The Secretary/Treasurer and elections committee chairperson shall be in charge of all election procedures as set forth in Article XIV.
9. The Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for keeping all membership records up to date and reporting any and all changes to NYSUT, the President, the 2nd Vice-President and the treasurer.
10. The Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for coordinating the duties of the Association office and staff.
11. The Secretary/Treasurer shall receive all monies due the Association in an FDIC member banking institution designated by the Board.
12. The Secretary/Treasurer shall disburse Association funds within the categories of the approved.
13. In a manner approved by the Board the Secretary/Treasurer shall keep an accurate account of the receipts and expenditures of the Association. An accurate and up to date set of treasurer’s records shall be maintained in the Association office files.
14. The Secretary/Treasurer shall give assistance in preparing the annual audit of the books. The auditor shall be a CPA selected by the Board and shall not be an employee of the school district.
15. The Secretary/Treasurer shall make a written monthly report at its monthly meeting. The Executive Board shall distribute said report to the Board members within 7 days. The treasurer’s report shall accompany the regular Board minutes. The Secretary/Treasurer shall also submit an annual report at the end of the fiscal year in the same prescribed manner.
16. The Secretary/Treasurer shall submit a written report of those persons paying membership dues to the secretary and the President within 10 days of receipt.
17. The Secretary/Treasurer shall keep an accurate record of membership number and this shall be available to any member upon request and shall be reported at meetings upon request of the Board. The treasurer shall cooperate with the secretary concerning these figures on membership.
18. The Secretary/Treasurer shall assist the President in the preparation of a budget for the upcoming year.
19. The Secretary/Treasurer shall be a designated signer of all checks and therefore shall be bonded at Association expense. He/she shall obtain and submit 4 signature cards to the bank as approved by the Board.
20. The Secretary/Treasurer shall be responsible for the filing of affiliation forms and fees annually as directed by the Board.