As per the BSCTA Constitution, teacher representatives (TRs) are elected for one-year terms each May. The term of office for TRs commences on June 1st and ends on the last day in May of the following year.
The duties and responsibilities of TRs are as follows:
- Attendance at union meetings at the BSCTA office on the final Tuesday of every month. Must attend 80% of these meetings in order to receive a full honorarium.
- Attendance at BSCTA events, both social and political in nature.
- Distribution of materials (memos, fliers, etc.) to teachers’ mailboxes.
- Collect and provide minutes of building meetings with staff/administration.
- Ongoing and open communication with the aforementioned groups.
- Willingness to take on a leadership role in your building and represent any and all members in need.
- Acting in a productive, respectful, and positive manner as a professional educator and a union leader.
Please note that by serving as a teacher rep, you will receive an honorarium to be paid out in December and May. This honorarium is paid for by the BSCTA and cannot be added to your final average salary for NYSTRS.
At the present time, the following is the rep allotment per building:
High School- 8 TRs Brook Avenue- 2 TRs
Middle School- 6 TRs Fifth Avenue- 2 TRs
South Country- 2 TRs Mary G. Clarkson- 2 TRs
Gardiner Manor- 3 TRs TOSA (Teacher On Special Assignment)- 1 TR
Any member willing and able to serve must submit this form to the BSCTA office by Friday, May 10th. If any building needs to hold an election, it will be held on Tuesday, May 28th. The winners will be announced on the evening of May 28th, and the new reps will begin serving on June 1st.