Thursday, September 24, 2020
I can honestly say that we are the busiest that we have ever been in our entire teaching career, whether you are a first-year teacher or a thirty-year-veteran. While we are hitting 2020-21 school year full speed ahead, I would like to bring your attention back to several issues that Andy Pallotta, NYSUT President, have been informing us and advocating on our behalf over the past several months.
- Vote-by-mail or your local school budget ballot proved to be beneficial in passing school budget.
- In June, NYSUT was asking local elected officials to support the enactment of two revenue enhancers: a progressive income tax for those with incomes over $5 million; and a pied-à-terre tax on luxury second homes in New York City. We were part of several State Senator meetings as well as Assemblymen meetings.
- Thank you to our officers for all that they do!
- AFT, NYSUT and BSCTA fought hard and long for safe reopening of our Schools throughout the months of July and August.
- September 2nd, 2020 was Nationwide day of action. We were calling back the Senate to pass HEROES Act (The Health and Economic Recovery Omnibus Emergency Solutions Act). It was passed by the house on May 12th and four months later, still no action. New York is facing a $14B deficit and ~$2B of that is affecting directly education.
- In years past, many poll workers were retirees, often 60 years old or older. However, as COVID-19 continues to be a threat to communities across the state and the country, many seniors don't feel comfortable working the polls this year, leaving many states and communities with a shortage of poll workers. If able ... Make a difference on Election Day! Volunteer to be a local poll worker!
- COVID-19 is taking a devastating toll on New York, our people, and public schools, colleges, and local governments across the state, and we need more resources now! Tell lawmakers: more revenue now!
- Early retirement Bills; Bill A 7449 - Ramos and S 8602 Parker. Available for those who have "attained the age of 55 and has at least 25 years of creditable service in the retirement system." There appears to be some movement in Albany - more details to follow soon.
- Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020 - Presidential Elections. Presidential Elections are 38 days away. Early Voting Period is October 24,2020 - November 1, 2020. Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot and How to Apply for an Absentee Ballot, please click here.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. -In Unity, Mariusz